I am an author and illustrator of children’s book from Western Australia (WA).
I grew wanting to be a train driver, a detective or a children’s book illustrator.
Choosing the third option, I became an illustrator working with some of Australia’s most loved publishers including Penguin Australia, Hardie Grant Egmont, Scholastic and Walker Books.
In 2018 I wrote and illustrated my first picture book, Ollie and Augustus, it was about my two favourite subjects; dogs and friendship. Ollie and Augustus was released in Australia in 2019 with Walker Books Australia and internationally in 2020 with Candlewick Press in North America before being translated into Danish and Russian. The paperback edition was released in February 2021.
In 2020 I made two picture book, The Cute Penguin (Hardie Grant Egmont) and Norton and the Bear (Berbay). The latter was shortlisted in the Children’s Book Council of Australia’s Picture Book of the Year 2021.
My latest book, A Human for Kingsley (Hardie Grant Egmont), follows the journey of a dog trying to find the perfect human to adopt. The story was conceived in 2019 while sitting in a café and commissioned before I’d even finalised the ending! Already into its second print run, it’s released in May 2021.
My most recent collaborations have been with award winning authors, Sonya Hartnett for Blue Flower (Penguin Australia), Jane Godwin for Little One (Affirm Press) and Raewyn Caisley, on a yet-to-be announced picture book.
My illustrations are made with a mixture of watercolour, gouache, pencil and ink on paper. I develop my ideas with the aid of a sketchbook and tea.
I run workshops and talks in schools and libraries around Australia and have visited numerous locations – from the busy streets of Sydney (NSW) and Melbourne (VIC), to remote communities in the Australian Kimberley and Pilbara regions.
I spend the rest of my time working from a small, messy studio near a river where I drink tea, grow trees and search for the perfect teapot.
SIX THINGS ABOUT ME
1) I love growing oak trees – I’ve planted over fifteen varieties on my hill.
2) I have a crazy Border Collie dog. She chases birds in trees. Did I mention she’s crazy?
3) My studio gets messy when I’m making books. I use acrobatic methods – including jumping, skipping and swinging – to reach my desk.
4) I once built a boat from an old kitchen sink. Its maiden voyage lasted five glorious minutes before the plug was dislodged. Like a good captain I went down with my ship.
5) I have a large collection of woolly beanies, but most of them are lost. I suspect they were eaten by a fiercely-hungry-beanie-eating monster.
6) My favourite breed of chicken is a frizzle. Their feathers look like my hair in the morning.