Gabriel Evans is an Australian children’s book illustrator and author.
I grew up wanting to be a train driver, circus master (with a curly moustache) or a children’s book illustrator.
I achieved one goal by signing my first picture book contract aged seventeen. Without previous illustration experience beyond newspaper cartooning, I learnt to storyboard, design spreads and complete a book within the three month deadline.
I work in traditional mediums including watercolour, gouache, charcoal, pencil and inks to achieve creative (and often messy) effects. I’m constantly experimenting in new systems of illustrating.
Between illustrating I travel Australia giving illustration workshops and talks in schools and libraries. Meeting the audience of my books is the highlight of my job.
In my spare time I drink tea, explore beaches and read picture books.
SEVEN FACTS ABOUT GABRIEL EVANS
1) I love growing oak trees – I’ve planted over fifteen varieties on my hill.
2) I have a crazy Border Collie dog. She chases birds in trees.
3) My studio is so messy I use acrobatic methods including jumping, skipping and swinging to reach my desk.
4) I once built a boat from an old kitchen sink. Its maiden voyage lasted five glorious minutes before the plug exploded. Like a good captain I went down with my ship.
5) I have a large collection of woolly beanies, but most of them are lost. I suspect they were eaten by a fiercely-hungry-beanie-eating monster.
6) My favourite vegetable is kale. It’s almost as good a Brussels sprouts. I’m not even joking.
7) My favourite chicken are frizzles. If you don’t know what they are click here.